1 1/2 cups Bob's (New) Gluten free flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda (aluminum free)
2 tsp coconut sugar (optional)
1/2 tsp salt
1tbs flax meal
2 cups plant milk (almond or coconut)
1 1/2 tsp vinegar
1 1/2 tbs rice bran oil
1 ripe mashed banana
1. Prepare flax mixture by combining flax meal and water, set aside 5 minutes to thicken.
2. Mix all the dry ingredients in another bowl whisk until combined.
3. In another bowl add the oil to flax mixture and stir well. This will form the binding agent in your pancakes replacing eggs.
4. Add the milk to flax egg and whisk, followed by the vinegar.
5. Pour wet ingredients into dry and whisk until lumps out.
6. Add the mashed banana and fold through.
6. Mixture will be a little thicker than runnier pancakes. If it is too thick to pour, add a couple of teaspoons of extra water to think out the batter until a thick but easily pourable texture is achieved.
7. Pour batter onto a medium heated pan and wait until holes start to pop on top. Flip and cook until lightly golden, about 30 seconds.
It is important not to overheat or overcook the pancakes as they will become dry and rubbery.
Serve with any toppings you like. We have used sliced avocado, coconut syrup, sunflower seeds and shredded coconut.
You could add sliced bananas and cinnamon or fresh berries and coconut yoghurt.
For more Alkaline Recipes have a look at our Alkaline Cookbook